Image Name

Translate

Friday, May 04, 2012

Scrabble FAMILY decor.

Last week I spent the morning with a friend who was helping me with my latest craft idea.  We spent most of the time catching up and discussing other projects we would like to do.  We had almost redesigned her whole garden in our heads.  It's great when women get together and inspire each other.

This project caught my eye whilst scanning the vast cyber space of Pinterest.   It was love at first sight!


I need to learn to take pics of things I create in their stages ... I get so caught up in what I am doing that I always forget.  Basically to make this I had one large plank of wood.  It measured 15cm wide.  I used that as my starting point.  To make the scrabble tiles I marked out a square of 15 x 15 ... so easy!! I cut the wood to size. My husband has a work bench with clamps so that helped keep the wood in place.  I used a hand saw but if you are comfortable using power tools you have that choice too. I needed 6 for F A M I L Y.  As I did a 'good' job of cutting the wood and didn't need to cover much  up ... well no more than would hide comfortably in the corners that over lap each other - I decided to keep the wood finish rather than painting.  I did think about painting the wood cream in colour to look more like original scrabble tiles, obviously I didn't follow through with that idea.

Hubby helped me to line them up and screw them together.  We used two screws for each side so that they would be more secure and not twist as it hung on the wall.  We secured some picture hooks on the back and attached some craft wire to hang it.

I made sure all of the other jobs were done first so that the vinyl wouldn't be damaged whilst screwing the wood together and turning it backwards and forwards. Then it was time to add the final touches with vinyl. My friend had cut the vinyl for me on her vinyl machine thingy!! (I am very technical!! haha) It is very easy to apply.

Hope you like it!! I have put it in our family room in the basement.  Not everyone gets to see it down there, but I think it's the prefect place for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment